diagrams of Spectra-Physics Quanta RAY PDL-2 dye laser
Cesar
2009-02-25 00:40:28 UTC
Does anyone have any diagrams of pictures of a Quanta-Ray PDL-2 dye
laser. I am trying to figure out why the lasing wavelength is not
changing, and it seems the grating is not moving when the mechanical
wheel to change the wavelength is turned. If anyone has come across
this same problem please let me know, thank you.
h***@gmail.com
2016-02-19 20:04:00 UTC
As this is 6 years later, I write for anyone else encountering this issue.

I would suspect that the grating is indeed moving -- the sine bar system is pretty robust and you have to tune far and fast (inadvisable) to see movement. More likely, the problem is that you are not actually lasing. For low-gain dyes, this can easily happen. To make sure you are lasing, stick a card between the anamorphic prisms and the grating; if this kills your output, then you are lasing. If you are still seeing output, then you are just looking at ASE and will have to realign.