Diode driving begginers questions
f***@oliveiracastro.com
2014-11-22 14:51:55 UTC

I'm sorry if this is too basic but I'm trying to find a suitable laser diode for a research project and I can't seem to understand some of the options available on the market.

I need 50 to 100mJ laser pulses. The wavelength is not really important. I'd rather use visible lasers but it seems that high power lasers are easier to find on the near infrared zone.

The ideal pulse width is 1ms but for that I would have to use a 50 to 100W laser diode.

I could find a few 25 to 40W diodes and maybe I could use 2-3ms pulses (research will tell) but all of them are driven by currents of 40 to 50 Amps. Thats a lot. A few questions that I couldn't answer through days and days of googling are:

1) I couldn't find millisecond pulse diodes. I presume I'd have to use a CW and leave the pulses to the driver. Am I correct?

2) Are there any higher voltage diodes so I don't need 50 Amps of current to drive them? I could find a couple fiber coupled lasers in the range of 60 to 100W that ask for only 10 to 15Amps because they use a higher voltage like 25V. (http://en.real-light.com/downloadRepository/4aad7c0c-4a5a-4d60-889a-e6b798d7a48f.pdf). I don't know if this laser costs more than my house but I'm glad I could find something that wouldn't need a small power plant to drive.

3) Do you know of any milisecond pulses capable driver/power supply that outputs 50 to 100Amps without needing a direct cable from the nearest nuclear power plant?

Thank you,

Felipe
jules
2014-11-25 09:22:43 UTC
Post by f***@oliveiracastro.com
Hi,
I'm sorry if this is too basic but I'm trying to find a suitable laser diode for a research project and I can't seem to understand some of the options available on the market.
I need 50 to 100mJ laser pulses. The wavelength is not really important. I'd rather use visible lasers but it seems that high power lasers are easier to find on the near infrared zone.
The ideal pulse width is 1ms but for that I would have to use a 50 to 100W laser diode.
1) I couldn't find millisecond pulse diodes. I presume I'd have to use a CW and leave the pulses to the driver. Am I correct?
Yes of course diode is an electronic component, working allways, you are
the breaker if you ask diode do deliver to much power.
Post by f***@oliveiracastro.com
2) Are there any higher voltage diodes so I don't need 50 Amps of current to drive them?
Unfortunatly not. A diode is an electronic component, it works around
2-3V then P=U*I
Post by f***@oliveiracastro.com
I could find a couple fiber coupled lasers in the range of 60 to 100W that ask for only 10 to 15Amps because they use a higher voltage like 25V. (http://en.real-light.com/downloadRepository/4aad7c0c-4a5a-4d60-889a-e6b798d7a48f.pdf). I don't know if this laser costs more than my house but I'm glad I could find something that wouldn't need a small power plant to drive.
Probably you have some more electronics device to transfer 25 V to some
Volts.
Post by f***@oliveiracastro.com
3) Do you know of any milisecond pulses capable driver/power supply that outputs 50 to 100Amps without needing a direct cable from the nearest nuclear power plant?
You will find a lot of electronic devices to deliver 50 A, but remember
that is only 100 mJ. You will find because you are not the first one to
have to make laser pulses. We did it in 1985 for telemetry. Richard