Pulsed tattoo laser for scientific research
s***@gmail.com
2014-08-16 13:27:07 UTC
I'm interested to work with nonlinear optics, especially BBO crystals for SHG and dye lasers. I'm thinking of using a pulsed tattoo laser to generate 266nm deep UV. The same laser can be used to pump
dyes for tunable emission, of course with the right optics.

I wanted to know whether this would be possible how this tattoo laser differ from the main stream laser systems by coherent, spectra physics, etc.

details of a low cost laser intended for the above
HREX50
http://www.mychway.com/wholesale-new-pro-power-300w-q-switch-yag-laser-tattoo-eyebrow-lipline-removal-machine_i1001554.html

Laser Type: Q-Switch ND:YAG Laser
Laser Wavelength:1064 nm and 532 nm
Pulse Energy:50MJ
Frequency:1-5Hz continuous adjustable
Dimension:530*340*340(mm)
Power:300W
Voltage:110V 50Hz;220V 60Hz

Thanks
Look forward to hearing your views.
Pooua
2014-09-06 19:30:50 UTC
I can only speculate, but my speculation is that this laser would have a cheaper power supply than the "main line" lasers you mentioned. In scientific work, the laser output usually needs to be highly stable. That means that everything from the power supply to the tube and optics need to be of sufficient quality to ensure that the output beam is stable. That's relatively more expensive to do than just getting a laser beam out of some device. For removing tattoos, beam stability is not so critical, so it can use cheaper components.

I'm wondering how you intend to get 266 nm light out of a laser that produces 1064 nm/532 nm light? I'm guessing by using a frequency-doubling crystal? So, the frequency would be quadrupled from that produced by the Nd:YAG, and the output power would be ~1/4 that of the Nd:YAG. As long as the 532 nm light is powerful enough, that would work, in theory. I don't know what the cutoff power would be, and I've never done it.

Richard Alexander
Hi,